UPDATE: Virginia Retail Federation is working to obtain additional clarity from the administration regarding the enforcement of Executive Order 63. That information will be shared as soon as it becomes available.
Governor Northam has issued Executive Order 63, mandating that face covers be worn by employees and customers while inside effective Friday, May 29, 2020.
Executive Order 63 states that all patrons in the Commonwealth aged ten and over shall when entering, exiting, traveling through, and spending time inside the settings listed below cover their mouth and nose with a face covering, as described and recommended by the CDC:
- Personal care and personal grooming businesses, including but not limited to, beauty salons, barbershops, spas, massage centers, tanning salons, tattoo shops, and any other location where personal care or personal grooming services are provided.
- All brick and mortar retail businesses, including both essential and non-essential brick and mortar retail businesses, as delineated in Amended Executive Order 61 and Amended Order of Public Health Emergency Three (2020).
- Food and beverage establishments, including but not limited to, restaurants, dining establishments, food courts, breweries, microbreweries, distilleries, wineries, tasting rooms, and farmers markets, when permitted to reopen for indoor dining.
- Entertainment or recreation businesses, including but not limited to, racetracks, historic horse racing facilities, theaters, performing arts centers, concert venues, museums, and other indoor entertainment centers, bowling alleys, skating rinks, arcades, amusement parks, trampoline parks, fairs, arts and craft facilities, aquariums, zoos, escape rooms, public and private social clubs, and all other places of indoor public amusement, once permitted to reopen to the public. Face coverings shall also be required when patrons are outdoors at these businesses if a distance of six feet from every other person cannot be maintained.
- Any other indoor place shared by groups of people who are in close proximity to each other.
Executive Order 63 also states that all employees of essential retail businesses permitted to open under Executive Order 61 or Executive Order 63 shall wear face coverings whenever working in customer-facing areas.