Sportable’s Mission is to create opportunities and transform the lives of those with physical disabilities and visual impairments through sport.
Sportable is a Paralympic Sport Club that aspires to be the best in the country at providing adaptive sporting opportunities to those with physical disabilities and visual impairments. Sportable adopted a strategic plan in 2016 that provides a framework for achieving this goal. The addition of a Development Director to the Sportable team is a major part of the strategic plan and will allow the organization to secure the necessary resources to fulfill its vision.
Sportable is seeking a highly motivated, driven individual to join its team. The Development Director will be a key member of the Sportable team with a responsibility of implementing a comprehensive annual fundraising plan that supports the organization. Successful candidates will be: detail oriented and highly organized; familiar with non-profit fundraising endeavors and practices; comfortable representing the organization throughout the Richmond community and sharing their “Sportable story” when necessary; and driven to help Sportable achieve its 2020 Vision of becoming a Gold Level USOC Paralympic Sport Club.
This is a full-time position. Some night and weekend work is required.
Sportable is a Paralympic Sport Club based in Richmond, VA, that actively seeks to fulfill its mission of impacting the lives of those with physical and visual disabilities through sport. Sportable succeeds at providing a variety of sports and recreation opportunities in the Greater Richmond Community not because of any one person’s efforts but because of the strength and breadth of our team.
Our team is fully committed to The Sportable Way, which is defined as “enthusiasm with intention” and is guided by our values of:
Integrity – Being true to our word and honoring commitments to athletes, partners, and community
Passion- Committing to work hard, stay positive, and encourage success in others
Team Spirit- The expectation that our community will enjoy a sport for its own sake while upholding the highest standard of fairness, respect, and camaraderie
Ingenuity – Fostering an environment where athletes and volunteers are able to reach their full potential
Sportable works with over 30 community partners to provide twelve year-round adaptive sports programs to individuals, age 5 and up, living with a physical or visual disability in Virginia. The Sportable staff works with our athletes individually to assess programs and set goals in which they will be most successful and works with our program coaches to create lesson plans that build on our athletes’ skills. Further, the Sportable team works with many community partners to make competitive opportunities accessible to our athletes.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THIS POSITION INCLUDE:
• Write the Annual Fund Plan and revise the plan as necessary on a yearly basis.
• Develop annual fundraising campaigns, including letters, emails, postcards, etc., that focus on the renewal and upgrade of Annual Fund donors, as well as the acquisition of new donors, and enlist staff and volunteer expertise as appropriate.
• Work with Board and Staff leadership to coordinate the annual solicitation of the Board of Directors.
• Work with Board and Staff leadership to grow a major gifts program and coordinate and facilitate the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of major donors.
• Track outcomes and maintain records of each fundraising campaign, including providing weekly and monthly reports that will track fundraising progress against annual goals.
• Maintain Sportable’s donor database, Giftworks.
• Oversee gift processing, donor recognition and timely acknowledgments, including thank you notes/letters.
• Support and staff the Board Development Committee and coordinate and attend all meetings.
• Make public appearances/accept speaking engagements to share information about Sportable with the community.
• Supervise and collaborate with other fundraising staff and volunteers, including a grant writer, Army of Orange volunteers, and the Tailgate event committee.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
• Passionate about the Sportable mission
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
• Minimum of two years development experience
• Knowledge and experience in fundraising techniques, particularly annual giving and prospect moves management
• Knowledge of donor databases and/or be comfortable working with databases
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills with a demonstrated ability to communicate clearly
• Strong personal initiative and ability to work independently
• Ability to work collaboratively and productively with Executive Director, Board, staff, volunteers, and others
• Communicate clearly, honestly, and respectfully with participants, staff, donors, and volunteers
• Well-organized; able to manage time and people wisely
• Able to work on multiple tasks simultaneously and efficiently
• Strong work ethic and high degree of professionalism
• Fluency in Microsoft Office Suite – Word, Excel, PowerPoint
• Ability to work remotely and travel occasionally
• Competitive salary that is commensurate with experience
• Four weeks of paid vacation
• Great teamwork environment
For consideration, send resume and cover letter with salary requirements to Wendy Bondeson at the following address or email documents to Wendy@Sportable.org.
No phone calls, please.
1365 Overbrook Road, Suite 2
Richmond, VA 23220