Our client, Green Top Sporting Goods Corporation, has been an industry leader for hunting and fishing equipment, apparel, and accessories for the past 70 years. Founded as a small family-run store between Richmond and Ashland, VA in 1947, Green Top has since grown to more than 100 employees and a 55,000 square foot, Class A retail location that draws customers from across Virginia, Maryland, Washington DC, North Carolina, and West Virginia. Green Top is the “go to” store for outdoorsmen not only because of the top quality brands and extensive options, but also because they are known for excellent customer service, deep industry knowledge, and the values of treating people “right.”
This is an exciting opportunity for the new Clothing & Footwear Buyer build on Green Top’s long history of retail success and take the company to the next level as a leading retailer in fashionable and functional, high-performance outdoor apparel. Reporting to the General Manager, the Clothing & Footwear Buyer is primarily employed to improve the sales, margin, and inventory performance of the store’s clothing and footwear lines. Specific areas of responsibility include market analysis, merchandise selection, vendor selection and management, merchandise mix and pricing, promotional strategy, and inventory turns.
2. Draw upon experience and performance metrics (sales, margin, turns, etc.), and create a forecast of customer buying patterns.
3. Monitor competition, both from “brick and mortar” stores and online retailers and pursue competitive advantages.
4. Manage product lifecycle and maximize sales and margin throughout, including efficient liquidation at end of lifecycle.
5. Monitor new products and new supplies, entering the market.
6. Select merchandise, negotiate process, quantities, and terms, and binds a store to same.
7. Assess assortment performance, branding of program, and brand strategy.
8. Collaborate with marketing staff to drive daily, 10-day, and special sales using the web, email, radio, newspaper, and other media.
9. Recommend price adjustments and promotions.
10. Meet sales, margin, inventory turn, open-to-buy, and in-stock goals.
11. Maintain a collaborative working relationship with floor sales team.
12. Work with suppliers to reconcile defective and returned merchandise.
13. Maintain documentation of purchases, costs, promised delivery dates, actual delivery dates, etc.
14. Maintain professional and technical knowledge through publications, research, vendor, and manufacturer contacts, workshops, personal networks, and attendance at industry shows.
15. Perform other duties as required.
2. Bachelor’s Degree in marketing, business, or other relevant field preferred.
3. Minimum of three or more years of work experience in a retail environment.
4. Three or more years of sales experience with relevant product line preferred.
5. Experience with retail marketing/floor merchandising, product life cycles, and how to maximize sales and margin throughout.
6. Knowledgeable of product lines for which he/she will be buying.
7. Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing using the English language.
8. Must be detail oriented.
9. Successful experience in planning, problem-solving, negotiating, and conflict management.
10. Understanding of basic math, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
11. Ability to conduct Internet research.
12. Intermediate-level proficiency with MS Word, Excel, and Outlook.
13. Able to analyze problems while multitasking and apply sound solutions.
14. Retain company and customer information in confidence.
15. Manage time wisely and properly prioritize responsibilities.
16. Work productively under pressure.
17. Work independently without close supervision.
18. Create and maintain productive work relationships.
19. Travel as needed to conduct research, maintain contacts, and attend workshops and industry shows.
20. Work outside of normal working hours as required.
Although we now employ more than 100 people, we retain the sense of family established by our founder, Cecil Hopkins, many years ago. Our core values of honesty, integrity, and respect drive our actions every day and form the basis for our relationships.
• For our customers, we strive to provide the best customer service possible. Our sales staff is knowledgeable and will work to provide the information each customer needs to make the best decision on a purchase.
• For our employees, we want a collaborative and supportive work environment. We set high expectations for employees, and in return, we work hard to accommodate their needs and career aspirations. As a result, we have very low turnover.
• For our vendors, we establish long-standing, loyal relationships. They can count on us to do what we say we will do. We sell what we agree to sell, and we pay all of our invoices on time.
• For law enforcement agencies, we recognize that we have an immense responsibility to them and to the public. We are meticulous in following laws, and we work as partners with them to promote safety.
We recognize that the retail industry is more demanding than many jobs. We are a lifestyle choice in careers, and as such, we offer a great deal of satisfaction and opportunity in return for requirements of the job.
EOE. On behalf of our client, Warren Whitney reserves the right to alter, change, modify and/or terminate this job posting at any time without notice, or obligation, to any party.
To be considered for this immediate opening, please send your resume with salary requirements to hr@WarrenWhitney.com. This position will remain open until filled.