2013 Distinguished Retailer of the Year Award
|Read this Times-Dispatch article for more about Pat and Bobbi Heaney being honored as 2012's Distinguished Retailers of the Year.|
The Distinguished Retailer of the Year Award has been presented since 1966. It is designed to honor a Retail Merchants Association member who is a proven leader in his/her firm and actively involved in community endeavors without regard to personal benefit. The award program will be held on Friday, December 2, 2011 (First Friday Forum) at the Westin Hotel, 6631 West Broad Street, Richmond, VA 23230. The nominated retailer must be a Retail Merchants Association Member in good standing.
The retailer should demonstrate superior commitment to exceptional standards that benefit their customers, employees and community. The nominee must provide supporting documentation in three areas for consideration. While examples from all three areas must be provided, the points below are only suggestions and not all points are required to be addressed in order for a retail business to win.
1. Management Practices
- A vision, mission or core values statement describing the company’s commitment to exceptional standards that benefit its customers, employees and community
- Examples of sound environmental practices
- Examples from the company employee manual showing how the company’s commitment to exceptional standards are communicated and implemented by employees
2. Industry Reputation
- Media coverage reflecting the retailer’s reputation as a trustworthy business
- Awards, recognition from within the company’s industry, trade group or community
3. Contributions to and Relationship with the Community
- Examples of volunteer or charity work by the owner/operator/business
- Examples of charity/causes that the employees chose to give back to the community
- Examples of the company working closely within the community and making a positive social impact and any recognition for charitable and/or community service projects
- One or two (maximum) letters from customers, vendors, suppliers or community leaders that speak to your contributions.
- Include any community event sponsorships
Entries will be reviewed by a panel of former Award winners.
Entries must include a completed application form (see below) and a two page summary (maximum) that:
- Explains why the nominee merits consideration for the Distinguished Retailer of the Year
- Highlights specific business and management practices relevant to the award
- Illustrates the company’s commitment to standards that build trust in the marketplace
- Highlights actions taken by the nominee demonstrating community service “beyond the call of duty”
Just complete the nomination form below or mail/fax (to 804-662-5507) this printable form by no later than October 31, 2011. The winner will be notified in mid-November.